[dropcap letter="V"]eteran actor Mark Gil has passed away today, September 1, 2014. He was 52 years old.
In a video statement,
the family revealed that Gil was diagnosed with liver cancer in 2012, and was told that the cancer had become terminal in June. They also shared that his last days were filled with comfort, surrounded by family, and that the actor was in good spirits till the end.
Here are 8 things that you should know about this brilliant actor.
8. His real name is Raphael Joseph De Mesa Eigenmann.
7. He is the second child of actors Rosemarie Gil and Eddie Mesa. He is the brother of actors Michael de Mesa and Cherie Gil.
6. He has six children, five of whom are in showbusiness--Andi Eigenmann, Gabby Eigenmann, Ira Eigenmann, Max Eigenmann, and Timothy Eigenmann (Sid Lucero).
5. His First movie ever was 1980 film “Underage,” which also stars Dina Bonnevie, Maricel Soriano, Snooky Serna, and Gabby Concepcion.
4. He rose to fame in the 1982 as a cast member of “Batch ‘81,” a film directed by Mike de Leon. He played a character named Sid Lucero, which is now the stage name of his son Timothy.
3. His last movie was "Seduction," directed by Peque Gallaga, and starring Richard Gutierrez, Solenn Heussaff, and Sarah Lahbati.
2. He starred in over 100 movies and over 30 TV shows.
1. Philippine cinema has lost one of its most prolific stars. He truly was one of the best actors of his generation, and we will miss him.