The 2013 Miss Universe pageant will be held on Nov. 9 (Nov. 10, Philippine time) in Russia.
This year’s Miss Philippines, Ariella “Ara” Arida, is a 24-year-old chemistry graduate from the University of the Philippines Los Baños.
Russia is hosting the pageant for the first time in the pageant’s 61-year history. There are contestants from 86 countries this year.
Miss Universe is an annual international beauty contest that is run by the Miss Universe Organization. The contest was founded in 1952 by California clothing company Pacific Mills and was acquired by Donald Trump in 1996.
8. There are two Filipina candidates and one of Filipino descent in this year’s pageant
7. Filipinos and fans from around the world can vote for Arida at www.missuniverse.com to help her become the Philippines’ third Miss Universe winner. The winner in the online poll automatically advances to the semifinals.
6. The Philippines won the title crown in 1969 (Gloria Diaz) and 1973 (Margarita “Margie” Moran).
5. Our candidates have entered the top five slots several times
4. The Philippines has the most Miss Photogenic winners in Miss Universe
3. From 1952 to 1963, the Miss Philippines pageant was held to select the representative of the Philippines to the Miss Universe Pageant.
2. There have been several Filipinos who served as judges in different Miss Universe Pageants:
1. The first ever Miss Universe, Armi Helena Kuusela (1952), fell in love with and married Filipino businessman Virgilio Hilario. Kuusela gave up her Miss Universe crown without finishing her reign and married Hilario on May 4, 1953 after a whirlwind courtship.