Family reunions are tricky. They're awkward, they're loud, they're cramped, and the food is usually never enough. But we Filipinos would never trade it for the world. It's an indelible part of our collective history, and one can hope, no matter how technology marches our world on, this perfectly healthy tradition lives on.
Here are 8 signs that you're in a Pinoy family reunion.
8. You always used to be so much smaller.
7. You will always get asked annoying questions.
Do you already have kids? They will ask when you plan to have more.
Are you single? They will ask you when you plan to get married.
Are you old? They ask if you want to be buried or cremated.
Okay, maybe not the last one, but you know the drill by now. Always have your canned responses ready to keep the awkward conversation to a minimum.
6. There's always a distant cousin who flew in from America.
5. There's always a surpriseD dance number.
4. Zesto, spaghetti, and fried chicken.
3. It's unbelievably festive – even if it's a wake.
People love catching up at family reunions. No amount of Facebooks and smartphones could ever supplant the experience, and that's a good thing.
2. Your parents spend most of the day playing six degrees of separation for you.
Your parents seem to know exactly how related you are to each and every single person in the reunion, all without a family tree app on their smartphone. Do you think that when your time comes to be playing six degrees of separation, you would fare just as well?
1. You make plans with cousins to hang out – and end up meeting each other at the next family reunion.
What's your Pinoy family reunion like? Share them in the Comments Section below!